Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Week of Creativity

My Painting Class at NEIPP 09


I recently went away for a divine week of learning and networking with photographers from all around New England at The New England Institute of Professional Photography. I have attended this yearly event for nearly twenty years now. This year I studied with world-renowned artist, author and painting instructor Jeremy Sutton, perfecting my portrait painting skills. It was a week to totally immerse in creativity and push myself in new directions in going to a more abstract style. Here are a couple of "before and afters" from the week.

This one is a photo I took of a man in Ireland, who was standing in an alley smoking a cigarette. It is titled "Irish Gypsy". Since he was not a "client" I felt the freedom to go for it with expressive color. What do you think???
Photo Before Painting After

This was done in the style of the Fauve Artists, such as Matisse, who used extremely bold colors, in fact their name actually means "wild beasts". I enjoyed being "unleashed" to paint in this looser more expressionistic way.

Here is another, more Impressionistic image, in the style of another of my favorite artists Renoir, called "Mother's Kiss":


Photo Before Painting After

Let me know if you have a loved one that you would like to have a painting made of. Makes a cherished Mother's Day or Father's Day gift. Or you can just give them the gift certificate for now, and we can do the session in the future. I can do it in any style you prefer, realistic or more abstract. They can be done on canvas or watercolor giclee.

No comments: